With the prime shopping season rapidly approaching and cyber Monday just around the corner, chances are you will be receiving packages delivered to your door. When packages are left unattended in view of the street then you are at risk of the packages being stolen by porch pirates. That right, pirates! Trolling neighborhoods and streets on the lookout for the unsuspecting deliveryman to have left a parcel on your doorstep! No one wants to go through that hassle of replacing the gift, whether it is an expensive electronic you have been waiting for, or that one of a kind, handmade, bird sweater you got on etsy for your favorite hipster. There are some simple steps you can take to prevent these pirates from gaining access to your belongings:
- Never have a package delivered when you are out of town
- Send packages to a secure location, neighbor’s house or even your office
- Be sure to track package and know when to expect them
- Require a signature for delivery
- Install a parcel drop or collection box
Initially collection boxes were primary for commercial use, it is becoming more popular for homeowners who find online shopping more convenient.
There are plenty of options to choose from. Home Depot even sells a verity of collection boxes in several colors. Like the dVault Curbside Mail and package delivery vault:
There are some key features to look for when shopping for a parcel drop to fit your needs.
- Accepts Large packages, it may not fit every packages but it needs to be a good size.
- Pry-resistant lock system on the retrieval door
- “No Deliveries” indicator allows you to easily see if you have packages.
- Ability for outgoing packages to be picked up by carrier
- Freestanding units should be bolted to the ground for security.
Quickly and easily add value to your home with one of these mailboxes and call Stratton Exteriors today and find out how we can customize your mailbox to fit your home’s personality and never loose a package again to porch pirates!