So we know it’s snowing in Nashville tonight, but we’re hoping to make things a little toastier with this post on a warm-weather project we tackled a while back for a Brentwood homeowner. Plus, there is actually a cold weather angle to this post. Just check out the outdoor fireplace we built to ensure this back porch’s complete and utter awesomeness–and its year-round usefulness.
Our challenge was to create a gorgeous, extra-tall corner porch that would provide shelter from the sun on hot days around the homeowner’s new swimming pool, which was being built at the same time that we were building the patio.
Here’s what we did:
– Poured footers for three 6 X 6 supports.
– Set posts.
– Installed three columns with caps and bases.
– Framed up the roof structure and frame for flat ceiling.
– Added the roof decking and felt and installed the standing seam metal roof.
– Cut into mortar joints to add proper flashing for the metal roof and ridge capping.
– Got a framing inspection and a final inspection.
– Added a bead board ceiling to the interior and added trim to the exterior.
– Added hardie board siding to the side area facing the pool.
– Painted trim, ceiling, and columns.
– Installed 6″ gutters and downspouts.
We hope you like this project; it remains one of our favorites.